585 Clay, Muskegon – Muskegon County
Moses Duquette was an early French resident in Muskegon, arriving in the community in 1873. He worked as a lath mill operator at the Beidler Sawmill until lumbering operations ceased in the region. Duquette then went into the grocery business, first using a store on Western Avenue and then constructing his own building on Clay. In succeeding years, the business passed through several owners and finally was purchased by Martin F. Carlson in 1915. Carlson, and later his son, Lawrence, operated the grocery until 1976. In recent years, the Muskegon Heritage Association purchased the building to save it as a pivotal structure within the boundaries of the Clay-Western Historic Commercial District. The store’s present owner is in the process of revitalizing the intact flat-roofed, three-bay-wide, Italianate Commercial building.